Blog problems

I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of WordPress so I followed the instructions and backed up my WordPress database using phpMyAdmin. I then thought I’d attempt to restore my blog using my backup file. What I didn’t know was that my backup file was incomplete. When I attempted the restore, phpMyAdmin gave an error. I decided to look at the backup file with a text editor and saw that the file ended part-way through a comment. I did a backup in December 2006 so I tried restoring my database with that file. It worked. The only problem is that all of my posts since December 15th have been lost.

What I learned: Check the database backup file for completeness with a text editor before I attempt to restore.

2 Replies to “Blog problems”

Comments are closed.